CYPB’S 2020 PRIORITIES
Updated September 2020
Greetings CYPB Members,
As 2019 comes to a close, I want to thank all of you for your support of the work of the Children & Youth Planning Board. It has been an exciting year of accomplishment concluding with the release of Called to Care, our vision for helping New Orleans to become a trauma-informed city.
We need you next year to advance the work in several areas – the Juvenile Justice and School Attendance Task Forces, the development of the Youth Master Plan in collaboration with the City and the New Orleans Youth Alliance, and working on equity in all areas affecting our youth. I am especially looking forward to the formation of our Youth Advisory Board, which will give us a firmer footing in this work and also enable some of our city’s youth to exercise their voice and power in determining our city’s future.
I wish you all Happy Holidays and may the spirit of love and fellowship abide with you and your family!
Rev. Torin T. Sanders, Ph.D., LCSW
WHAT TO EXPECT IN 2020
We are looking forward to connecting in 2020 with an intentional focus on systems-approaches to our work together. As confirmed by our conversation with Tim Wise and collective discussions in the 2019 Annual Planning Day Meeting, cross-sector and systems-level perspectives are crucial to the fulfillment of the CYPB purpose.
Expanded Meeting Time
In order to accomplish all that we are setting out to do, we are expanding our standard meeting time to run from 11:00 a.m – 1:30 p.m. Meetings will remain on the bi-monthly schedule. See below for the full list of board meeting dates with links to calendar invites and a highlight of major agenda items and activities.
Digitized Board Materials
We are moving towards a paper-limited meeting space. In 2020, we will commit to utilizing the Board Only space of nolacypb.org, login located at the very bottom of the homepage. You will receive a followup email reissuing the login credentials.
In advance of each meeting, you will receive an update from the calendar invite that board materials are available for download. Please come prepared with materials downloaded or expect to download them in the meeting.
2020 CYPB Officer Election
In the January meeting, come prepared to elect 2020 Officers. Nominations will be taken from the floor, along with the provided ballot of nominees. Please see the ballot here.
Please review and prepare to commit to the 2020 CYPB Member Expectations. See here to review. The board-only space will soon hold a version where you can digitally sign and submit.
Focus on Sustaining Quorum
In 2019, nearly 56% of CYPB members fulfilled the expectation of attending at least 75% of the total scheduled board meetings and events annually.
Let’s raise this number in 2020 to address the urgent issues that affect our young people.
A special acknowledgement is in order for Board Chair Rev. Dr. Torin Sanders and Anne Kiefer for their full attendance at all 2019 CYPB meetings and events.
Attendance matters, as it informs our ability to achieve a quorum and move actions/decisions forward that impact our children and youth. The challenge is to exceed our past performance, with 80% of CYPB members meeting their required attendance percentage. Keep in mind that we need at least 13 members in good standing at each meeting to make a quorum.
Youth Advisory Board
As you saw in our November meeting, the Public Allies created a comprehensive toolkit for building out the CYPB Youth Advisory Board. Implementation based on their recommendations is underway, and the application period will be open 12/16/19 – 01/10/20. Please make plans to share the application through your networks once materials are provided.
CYPB 2020 BOARD MEETING SCHEDULE
Standing Location & Time
United Way of Southeast Louisiana, 2515 Canal St.
11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (lunch provided)
See here for 2020 Meeting Matrix
January 14, 2020 | Youth Master Plan Walk-through; Introduction of Youth Well-Being Data DashboardS and Youth Master Plan Working Group Categories
March 10, 2020 | Youth Master Plan components, progress, and timeline; Youth Advisory Board launch report; Invitation to join Childhood Trauma Implementation & Action Subcommittee
Shift to virtual/remote meetings due to COVID-19 & a monthly schedule to accomodate Youth Master Plan development process
May 12, 2020 | Youth Master Plan Steering Committee Orientation
June 13 & 16 2020 | Dismantling Adultism Training with Rethink
July 14, 2020 | Co-facilitator/documenter training for Community Conversations
August 11, 2020 | Review of July Community Conversations; Youth & Community Survey feedback; Strategic Plan Document Review Input
Cancelled due to hurricane preparation; email updates in lieu of meeting
September 15, 2020 | Working Group signup and recruitment; Youth Master Plan progress update
Cancelled due to COVID-19
October, 2020| Annual Planning meeting around systems-change with Youth Master Plan launch
October 6, 2020 | Orientation to Youth Master Plan Working Groups.
- Oct. 13 – Working Group Session 1
- Oct. 20 – Working Group Session 2
- Oct 27 – Working Group Session 3
- Nov 10 – Working Group Session 4
November 10, 2020 | Close out of the year, evaluations, elections, and set agenda for 2021
December 8, 2020 | Meeting pending
CYPB 2020 PROJECTS
NEW ORLEANS YOUTH MASTER PLAN
What is the Youth Master Plan?
The Youth Master Plan is New Orleans’ opportunity to be deliberate about the potential of our youth and build pathways to make that potential a reality. The Youth Master Plan will be a comprehensive roadmap for creating and sustaining a positive, youth-development focused, results-oriented New Orleans that works for all of our young people.
The Youth Master Plan development process brings together young people, parents, educators, community leaders and other key stakeholders to develop a ten-year, multisector plan for improving outcomes for our children and youth across Orleans Parish.
Youth Master Plan Steering Committee
CYPB has committed to fulfill the role of Youth Master Plan Steering Committee, with additional sector leaders, and will work with CYPB’s Youth Advisory Board to sheppard and guide the Youth Master Plan development process.
Youth Master Plan/Positive Youth Development Categories
- Health & Well-being
- Economic Stability
- Safety & Justice
- Space & Place
- Youth Voice
- Birth – 5 years
- 6 – 11 years
- 12 – 15 years
- 16 – 19 years
- 20-24 years
Youth Master Plan Process Overview
(updated September 2020)
– 2020 –
- JAN – Build Youth Advisory Board; Release Youth Well-Being Data Dashboards
- FEB – Launch Youth Advisory Board; Establish Youth Master Plan Steering Committee composition
- MARCH – Plan Youth Master Plan Steering Committee meetings
- APRIL – CYPB pivots by moving to all remote and virtual ways of working
- MAY – Return to standing Youth Advisory Board meetings; Youth Master Plan Steering Committee launch + orientation
- JUNE – “Flip the Script” event: creating a new narrative for New Orleans youth; Reset of schedule + virtual/remote process for Community Conversations
- JULY – Convene Community Conversations
- AUG – Convene additional Community Conversation; establish Youth Master Plan data warehouse holder, partnership with Xavier University; Launch nolayouthmasterplan.org
- SEPT – Convene additional Community Conversation; Launch Youth & Community Survey; Prepare Working Groups for launch; Release NOLA Kids Databook: 2020 Trends in Child Well-Being
- OCT – Launch Working Groups
- NOV – Complete Working Group process; Youth & other key stakeholders review action steps
- DEC – Plan completion + soft release
– 2021 –
- JAN– Mayor, Council, NOLA Public Schools approvals; City-wide launch and celebration; Results-based strategic planning for implementation + accountabilty
- FEB-DEC– CYPB resets to form results-based Working Groups, monitoring the plan for success
childhood trauma* Task force & compassionate healing
Official Launch of Called to Care: Compassionate Healing for Our Children
January 21, 2020 will mark the official launch of Called to Care with a presentation at the National Association of Social Workers’ New Orleans Regional Meeting, including a public commitment campaign to implement key plan elements.
Implementing Plan Activities
In 2020, CYPB will focus systems-level efforts on delivering the following:
- Intended Plan: Increase awareness and knowledge of ACEs to 400+ community members.
- Pivot Plan: Increase awareness and knowledge of ACEs to 400+ community members. Pivoted to virtual format and monitoring by way of a data story
- Intended Plan: Create and sustain a catalogue of trainings for trauma-informed care/approaches; build out a trauma-informed continuum of services and care. From these deliverables, we will identify where greatest need exists and possible
- Intended Plan: Host second annual New Orleans Summit on Compassion and Resilience in June 2020 for coordinated and cross-sector skill-building; to check-in on content, impact and accountability; and to map gaps in services and care.
- Pivot Plan: Use New Orleans ACEs Connection (LA) for coordination and community/competency building; host 2021 quarterly virtual convenings via New Orleans ACEs Connection (LA)
- Intended Plan: Plan a city-wide annual Well-Being Day in coordination with key stakeholders, to include Faith Leaders.
- Pivot Plan: On hold indefinitely pending community health per COVID-19.
*The current project name is reflective of City Council’s resolution and request of CYPB to form a Childhood Trauma Taskforce. We are shifting the narrative to create equitable, healing-centered, systems-level change that will give our youth opportunties to thrive. Youth voice, collaboration, and a calling to care are what drives this work. Pending project name change to reflect this intention.
Juvenile Justice Task Force
- Intended Plan: Look out for the release in January 2020.
- Pivot Plan: On hold. This data information intersects with and will be reflected in the Youth Master Plan. See here for a comprehensive 2019 Year in Review: Juvenile Justice data report by the City’s Office of Criminal Justice Coordination.
- Intended Plan: In January 2020, the Juvenile Justice Task Force will implement a pilot to reduce juvenile re-arrest rates and increase pro-social skills by coordinating sector and community actors to refer system-involved youth to community-based Aggression Replacement Training (ART) and Functional Family Therapy (FFT).
- Pivot Plan: Suspended due to COVID-19 and virtual learning. CYPB is exploring the possibility of virtual formatting with ART and FFT providers.
- Intended Plan: The Juvenile Justice Task Force’s direction for 2020 will prioritize addressing racial disparities in the juvenile justice system.
- Pivot Plan: The results-based Youth Master Plan Working Groups (pending 2021) will have the opportunity to focus on this work.
School Attendance Task Force
- Intended Plan: CYPB is partnering with the Campaign for Grade- Level Reading and NOLA Public Schools to develop and guide the implementation of solution-focused recommendations that increase awareness, improve coordination across stakeholders, test solutions, and ultimately reduce chronic absenteesim in New Orleans public schools. The Task Force will solidify the work plan in 2020.
- Pivot Plan: Suspended due to COVID-19 and various virtual learning formats.